The novel was written/first published in 1959 and the children originate from America.
Life in the US at that time was very different and there was lots of racial segregation.
Research the racial segregation of the time and answer the following questions.
1. How were African Americans and white people treated differently?
2. What did white people (in general) think of black people at the time?
3. Were there different laws for the two races? Give 3 examples.
4. Note down 6 interesting facts you find.
5. What was the Civil Rights movement and when did it take place?
On page 12, we are told that ‘At home in Charleston, South Carolina, no black person came near white people.’ Find information about how blacks were treated in South Carolina before the 1950s, when Walkabout was written. ?
a) Dot point 10 facts you can find
b) Write a paragraph of 100 words on what life would have been like for an African American.