T H E // B L I N D // S I D E
C O M P R E H E N S I O N // Q U E S T I O N S
Answer the following questions in a minimum of 2-3 sentences per question.
- Suggest two reasons why the film may be called The Blind Side.
- Why do you think Michael found a way out of poverty yet his 'friends' did not?
- The film showed a number of Christian acts/behaviours. List 5 and explain why they are Christian.
- Michael had problems trusting people throughout the film. Why do you think this was the case?
- Suggest two examples of racism from the film and explain why they may be racist.
Q U O T E S
Explain the meaning and significance of the following quotes in 2-3 sentences each.
- 'The first cheque you write is for the mortgage, but the second is for the insurance' - Leigh Ann Tuohy.
- 'You're changing that boy's life'. 'No, he's changing mine' - Leigh Ann and her friend.
- 'I tell you, most kids with his background wouldn’t come within 200 miles of this place' - Coach Cotton talking about their school.
- 'Courage is a hard thing to figure. You can have courage based on a dumb idea or a mistake, but you are not supposed to question adults…Maybe they know what’s best or maybe they don’t' - Michael.
- 'Michael's gift is his ability to forget. He's mad at no one and he really doesn't care happened in the past' - Sean Tuohy
- 'Courage is tricky if you always do what others tell you to do. any fool can have courage but honour , that is the real reason you do something or you don’t.You should hope for courage and try for honour' - Michael
- 'He is like an onion , you have to peel it one at a time' - Sean Tuohy
F O O T B A L L // T E A M
The following activity has been adapted from F.I.L.M curriculum and the National Curriculum for Youth's work on The Blind Side.
Here is a list of positions in American Football, along with a description of their role:
RIGHT AND LEFT TACKLE
Both right and left tackle positions create holes in the opposite team’s line of defense to protect their teammates on running plays and protect the ball on passing plays.
Quarterbacks have a great deal of responsibility and are the individuals on the team who call plays and lead the offensive team.
The halfback is responsible for carrying the ball during most running plays, and on short passing plays can often be used as the receiver.
The wide receiver’s primary role is to catch passes from the quarterback and run downfield.
The fullback does not often carry the ball, but primarily aids the offensive linemen in blocking.
- Using the descriptions, think of family or friends from your own life and write which position they would fill in regards to your own life and why. You should have again 2-3 sentences per position/person. You need to write on each position at least once.
- Explain which one you would most be in the lives of your friends and family.
S H O R T // A N S W E R
Answer the following questions in a minimum of 3 full sentences each.
- Michael was determined to move on from his past. What can you learn from this?
- Michael's nickname was 'Big Mike'. Leigh Ann was the first person he told that he did not like this name. Why do you think he a) went along with the name for so long, and b) chose Leigh Ann as the person he was honest to?
- There were a number of stereotypes present in the film.
a) List at least 3 of them and give examples, explaining why they were a stereotype.
b) How did these stereotypes impact how people interacted with each other?
c) Explain how at least 2 of these people proved their stereotype to be wrong or inaccurate.
- The film shows the difference between the rich and the poor in the US.
a) Do you think there is a big difference between the rich and the poor in Australia?
b) Why or why not?
c) What do you think causes the difference? (Whether it is a big or small difference)
I D I O M S
Explain the real meaning of the following idioms that are used in the film:
I've got your back.
Don't get your panties in a wad.
Don't let it get to your head.
Come along for the wide.
No cutting it in class.